Monday, December 8, 2008

Christmas Tree


In her most resent post "The Trees Sprout" Yoani Sanchez writes.........

"Stopping in the doorway of a church in Reina Street, I had decided not to get closer to the crèche and the crystal balls that hung from the branches. The stories of what happened to those who had been rejected for believing in religion stopped me at the door. Mouth agape at the size of that fir, I overcame my fear and approached the warm manger".

I don't remember ever seeing a Christmas tree in Cuba. The first one I saw was in Spain when I was thirteen years old. I will always remember those 4 months I spent in Madrid, after leaving the Island. It was there that I began to discover, how beautiful life can be, without Communism. It was there that I made my first snow man. I remember that day I played in the snow all day and the next morning I woke up with the worst cold of my life, but it was worth it.

In Cuba my teachers would make fun of my beliefs, because they new I took Catechism classes and went to Mass every Saturday night. While my classmates listened quietly, the teacher would ask me..........

___ Lets see, why don't you go stand on Main Street, with a statue of the Virgin Marry, and see if she can protect you from the passing cars........ and they would laugh!

They were blind. They new not, that under the protection of my church y felt safe and at peace. I had my faith, but did they have? Oh yes.......they had "The Revolution".

The happiest moments of my childhood, after my father left, were spent there, at the Saint Peter and Saint Paul Parish.

I want to whish everyone a very "Merry Christmas".

1 comment:

Biased Girl said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

It is an unsettling reminder to us about how important Freedom of Religion really is...