Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Since When is Che a Hero?


Every time I see a teenager with Che Guevara's picture plastered on a T-shirt I feel sad. I wonder if they even know who this man really was. The truth is; they don't know, but they think they do and they proudly ware his picture.

Cubans on the other hand, know too well who this man was. An Argentinian mercenary and mass murderer who by his own admission executed and send thousands of Cubans to the firing squads, without luxury of a trial. During the first years of the Castro regime, Che was the head executioner. He is also responsible for founding the work camps, where the opposition were sent, including my father, who did nothing against the communist regime.

My Spanish teacher in High School, once told me, that as a University Student in Havana, she attended a rally, where the Comandante Che Guevara was speaking and she said, that he was a handsome man, that he had blue eyes, and a bigger than light persona, but that she had never seen so much hate, in one man's eyes as she did in his.

I remember as a student in Cuba how his image was used by the Communist Regimen to indoctrinate us. Our teachers used to tell us, that he was still alive and one day, my little brother came home and told my mom, that Che and all the others were still alive and that he should think Che for the shoes he was wearing. My mom, who was a rebel said......___Really, well let me have those shoes your wearing and go tell Che, to buy some knew ones-good grief. I know they meant that he was alive in all of us, but let me tell you, that sack of crap was not alive in me. I hated Communism from the moment I took my first breath.

In part their brainwashing was successful, but for the most part, the majority of us new better; we just couldn't say anything. The reality was that Fidel Castro send Che to Bolivia in the sixties and abandoned him. He left him there to die, because he couldn't take the competition. Che was outshining him and that was just not acceptable. In the end he was shown the same mercy, he had given his victims.


6 comments:

LegendaryFail said...

Really? This is the best you could come up with? Stop blogging please and check your facts. People wear shirts with his face on it because he is a ubiquitous countercultural symbol worldwide.

Biased Girl said...

I am disgusted when I see one of these t-shirts. It literally sickens me to think that College Kids honor this Murderer.

Thank you for sharing your Unique Cuban perspective.

Mijadedios said...

Thank you for this article. It sounds like you have experienced a lot of hurt over Che's ideals and communism itself. We need more people like you speaking the truth about the evils of Communism. Our younger generation is experiencing the same brainwashing and propaganda as Communist Cuba, Marxist Russia, and Communist China. My son's teacher in History (9th grade) teaches 1/2 truths constantly, but I try to make sure I correct it at home! What a tragedy to see the United States in the same pot as all the rest.

11ParapraxisRex11 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~Zurama Arencibia Nuñez~ said...

They ware these t-shirts, because they don't take the time to educate themselves.

~Zurama Arencibia Nuñez~ said...

Mijadedios, don't worry about what the teachers teach. Just make sure you talk to them.

I spent the first 13 years of my life in communist Cuba and I was never a pioneer for the Revolution. I learned from my parents what they had done to their generation and I could see right through their lyes.