Monday, October 27, 2008

School in the Country


Back in Cuba, It was mandatory to participate in a program, where students volunteered to work in the fields-I know it's confusing, but that's how it was. The younger students worked in the field's, near their house, in the afternoon and the older ones had to go away for 45 days each school year, and do the same thing. My brother and I participated, as long as we didn't have to go away from home overnight.

Our neighbor Marino came over to visit after returning from his 45 days, and just starts talking about things went for him there and he said, "We were served split pea soup for dinner, but there were these worms in it". When I asked him what he did, he replied, "Nothing.....I was hungry, so i just pushed them aside and ate the peas.

I believe that says all.

No comments: